NEFSC 1995 AJ9501 (Part I)
National Marine Fisheries Service
Palka, D. 2011. NEFSC 1995 AJ9501 (Part I). Data downloaded from OBIS-SEAMAP (http://seamap.env.duke.edu/dataset/56) on yyyy-mm-dd.
Halpin, P.N., A.J. Read, E. Fujioka, B.D. Best, B. Donnelly, L.J. Hazen, C. Kot, K. Urian, E. LaBrecque, A. Dimatteo, J. Cleary, C. Good, L.B. Crowder, and K.D. Hyrenbach. 2009. OBIS-SEAMAP: The world data center for marine mammal, sea bird, and sea turtle distributions. Oceanography. 22(2):104-115.
The ship survey was performed from 22 July 1991 to 30 August 1991 to estimate the abundance and spatial distribution of harbor porpoises. The study area, covering approximately 13,300 nm, was from Port Clyde, Maine to St. John, New Brunswick over to the Nova Scotian coast, up to Liverpool, Nova Scotia.
The primary objectives were:
1) Estimate the abundance of harbor porpoises in the Gulf of Maine - Bay of Fundy - Nova Scotia area; and
2) Investigate if there are any spatial distribution patterns of the harbor porpoises, and if those patterns are correlated with water depth or harbor porpoise group size.
The secondary objectives were:
1) Estimate the abundance and spatial distribution of other cetaceans;
2) Determine if harbor porpoise avoid this ship, and if so, at what distance;
3) Determine if there is a spatial distribution pattern of mother-calf pairs of harbor porpoise;
4) Compare the abundance estimate and spatial distribution of harbor porpoise as seen this year with that seen in previous years;
5) Investigate if inland bays can be surveyed using a rigidhull inflatable boat as the observation platform in a line transect survey; and
6) Determine if Buckland's sighting procedure (1991), which is a line transect survey using both a primary and marking team, is a feasible procedure to estimate the abundance of harbor porpoise in the Bay of Fundy area.
In addition to the sighting data, effort data was recorded every half hour or whenever conditions change. This dataset, therefore, should be used with the effort data.
Potter, D., National Marine Fisheries Service. 1991. Cruise report of the harbor porpoise survey. Cruise report. 1991 AJ91-02.
Attributes described below represent those in the original dataset provided by the provider.
Attributes in dataset provided
|Rays and sharks||0|
|Latitude||36.58 - 39.31|
|Longitude||-74.16 - -68.36|
|Coord. prec.||3 decimal digits|
|Data type||Animal sighting|
|Effort||YES (ID: 57)|
|Sharing policy||CC-BY-NC (Minimum)|
|Also availalbe from||iOBIS|
|See metadata in static HTML|
|See metadata in FGDC XML|
|See download history / statistics|